Peace Sign or so-called "Cross of the World" is a symbol invented in 1958 by Gerald Holtom for the "Movement for Nuclear Disarmament" that was being created.
Only two years later Peace Sign gained the status of an international symbol of the movement against the war. In this sign Holt with the help of the semaphore alphabet encrypted two letters "N" and "D", denoting "nuclear disarmament" - "nuclear disarmament". Some believe that the sign denotes the union of the three roads into one, which embodies the unity of mankind. There is a version that this symbol is the footprint of a pigeon's paw, as this bird stands for tranquility and peace among many peoples. In any case, the Peace sign has been an international symbol of peace, disarmament and anti-war movement for more than half a century.